The monument, at the South Mall’s junction with Parnell Bridge was commissioned and donated to the city by the family of Seán Murphy, battalion vice commandant and brigade quarter master, who is believed to have been the sole surviving brigade officer following independence.
Cork sculptor Mick Wilkins completed the work to coincide with the year-long centenary celebrations of the Rising, before Mr Murphy’s family gifted it to Cork City Council.
The monument comprises two white forms, representing the two channels of the River Lee which rise to create the form of a budding lily — the recognised symbol of the Rising.
However, the forms are deliberately abstract to allow people interpret them as either flames, representing the upheaval of the time which included the burning of Cork City, or two hands coming together in prayer.
Its base contains a plaque replicating a service certificate issued in 1948 to each member of the Cork City Battalion.
The plaque lists the names of those in A, B, C, and D Companies and members of Fianna Éireann.